Developer’s Handbook

The first step in the development, construction, and occupancy of a building, is to determine if a permit is needed

Subdividing property, changes in zoning, or the type of business to occupy existing buildings, may trigger approval by the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council at a public hearing.

Standard construction and remodeling, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical work may require specific licensing by the State before issuing a permit. Drawings prepared by licensed architects or engineers may need reviewing by the City or other agencies, such as TxDOT (Texas Department of Transportation).

To make informed decisions about the purchase or lease of a property, please contact the City of Terrell to help determine if approvals are needed.

Types of work that typically require permits from the city include:

  • New Construction
  • Additions
  • Remodeling
  • Fencing
  • Plumbing
  • Utility Work
  • Electrical Work
  • Mechanical or Air Conditioning Work
  • Concrete or Paving Work
  • Signage
  • Roofing
  • Demolition
  • Leveling
  • Grading
  • Tree Removal
  • Irrigation or Drainage Work, etc.

This list is not exhaustive, and other work may or may not require a permit. To avoid expensive corrective actions, contact the City before starting the work.

Texas Local Government Code and State Statutes and Laws may apply, as well as the City of Terrell Code of Ordinances, International Building Codes, and the National Electrical Code. These ordinances and codes are revised from time to time, so it is prudent to check with the City before designing or bidding out projects, making sure you are current with any applicable changes.